Award of available spectrum: 1452 – 1492 MHz
Statement published 7|12|07
1.1 Starting in 2003, we have published a number of documents that relate to the award of the 1452-1492 MHz spectrum. This statement sets out our conclusions on the matters raised in the various consultation and discussion documents and our consideration of the responses that stakeholders made to those documents.
1.2 The key elements of the award will be as follows:
- We will hold an auction in the spring of 2008 for the award of UK wireless telegraphy licences to use the 1452-1492 MHz spectrum band.
- The spectrum between 1452-1479.5 MHz will be packaged into 16 lots, each of approximately 1.7 MHz and the spectrum between 1479.5 and 1492 MHz will be packaged as a single lot. All spectrum lots will be for use throughout the UK.
- The auction will take the form of a combinatorial clock auction.
- The licences will have an indefinite term with an initial period of fifteen years (during which time our powers to revoke will be limited).
- The licences will be tradable.
- The licences will be technology and application neutral.
1.3 At the same time as this statement we are also publishing the following documents:
- An information memorandum, which sets out relevant information that interested parties should take into account when considering their possible participation in the award process; and
- A notice of our proposal to make four statutory instruments in relation to the award process.
1.4 Interested parties are advised to familiarise themselves with all of the auction regulations, in particular the rules that prevent association and collusion between bidders.
1.5 We intend to start the award process in the spring of 2008.
The full document is available below:
In this section
Full Print Version - Annex 5 updated 10/12/07 to align with Annex 1 of the Information Memorandum.
Award of spectrum: 1452-1492 MHz - Information Memorandum
Notice of Ofcom’s proposal to make regulations in connection with the award of 1452-1492 MHz
Consultation published 7|12|07
Releasing spectrum for mobile television and satellite radio
News release published 7|12|07